Acne and blemishes are an unpleasant reality for many of us. Get clearer, more radiant skin by following these steps.
1. Wash Your Face
Your skin gathers dirt and grime throughout the day. If left to linger on the skin, this debris can clog pores, causing acne. The key to washing your face correctly is to be gentle. Over-washing, rubbing the skin, and using harsh exfoliates can irritate skin and cause inflammation.
• Use lukewarm water. Scalding hot water strips the skin of its natural oils, which can leave it dry, itchy, and inflamed. Cool to lukewarm water helps the skin preserve its protective oils and minimize the appearance of pores.
• Try a gentle cleanser. Facial skin is thinner and more delicate than most of the skin on your body. Harsh exfoliates and strong chemical cleansers can remove your skin’s oils and remove the outermost layer of the epidermis, leaving sensitive skin vulnerable. Use a gentle face wash made with natural ingredients to cleanse your skin while preventing irritation.
• Pat your face dry. Don’t rub your face dry with a towel; doing so will drag the fibers across your skin, tearing it along the way. Instead, pat your face dry with a clean towel.
• Apply a moisturizer. No matter your skin type, you need a moisturizer to keep skin healthy. Find a suitable moisturizer for your skin type to seal in moisture and keep skin hydrated. Apply a day cream with SPF to protect your skin while you’re outside, and use a night cream to help your skin repair itself while you get great sleep.
2. Clean Your Makeup Brushes
Before you apply your makeup, make sure your cosmetics applicators are clean. It’s recommended that you clean your makeup brushes at least once a week to remove dead skin cells and bacteria. Use the steps below to clean your brushes.
• Wash in lukewarm water
• Rinse with baby shampoo
• Reshape bristles with a cloth
3. Try Mineral Makeup
Some cosmetics contain harmful ingredients that can hurt the skin and increase signs of aging. Mineral-based makeup is made of natural ingredients that don’t clog pores. Many brands now offer mineral makeup that can fill fine lines, even-out skin tone, and leave a radiant finish. If you’re looking for a vegan skincare product that helps you and the environment, mineral makeup is typically a safe bet.
4. Don’t Pick at Your Skin
It’s tempting to pop a zit when you spot it in the mirror but resist the urge. Popping a pimple yourself can result in reoccurring breakouts and scarring. Many pimples will disappear naturally on their own, so use a skin-friendly concealer in the meantime.
5. Prepare Healthy Meals
The secret to clear skin is a healthy diet. Greasy, processed foods cause blood sugar introduced and introduces free radicals that damage skin cells. Over time, this will cause your skin to look worn and drab, and increase the appearance of aging.
Decrease your intake of junk food and introduce more fruit, leafy greens, and natural meat products to your diet. Vitamins A, B complex, C, D, E, and K are essential to healthy skin, and a balanced diet can make your skin brighter in no time. If you have specific dietary needs, take a multivitamin to fill in any nutritional gaps.
Stress affects your mind and body. Stress can cause lack of sleep, increased blood pressure, heart disease, obesity, and diabetes. All of these factors make it difficult for your body to repair your skin and keep it looking fresh. Incorporate these habits into your daily routine to reduce stress:
• Get seven to eight hours of sleep.
• Decrease your intake of caffeine.
• Limit your alcohol intake.
• Turn off electronics an hour before bed.
7. Wash Your Clothes and Sheets
Resist the urge to re-wear clothes before you wash them, and wash your sheets once a week. Your clothes and sheets quickly gather dead skin cells, dirt, and bacteria that can cause acne. If you have sensitive skin, you might also consider a skin-friendly detergent that won’t cause irritation.