Record-breaking $350,000 raised from Pink Shirt Day
CKNW Orphans’ Fund distributes grants to 11 non-profits as result of Pink Shirt Day T-Shirt Sales
Vancouver, BC – On February 25th, 2015 hundreds of thousands of supporters across Canada participated in Pink Shirt Day . $350,000 was raised as a result of the campaign organized by the CKNW Orphans’ Fund. Eleven organizations have now been approved for funding for anti-bullying programs promoting healthy self-esteem, including:
• Boys and Girls Clubs of South Coast BC and Boys and Girls Clubs across British Columbia: Anti-bullying programs
• Canadian Red Cross BC: Respect Ed – Rapid Response Prevention program
• Kids Help Phone: Anti-bullying professional counseling
• Kidsafe Project Society: Young leaders anti-bullying program
• Leave out Violence Society (LOVE BC): Youth leaders working with mentors to create anti-bullying workshops and social media campaigns
• YWCA Metro Vancouver: Youth education programs
• Vancouver Opera Society: Stickboy – provincial tour to schools
• Eureka Camp Society: Kindness ROCKS school performances
• YMCA of Great Vancouver: Alternate Suspension Program – Surrey
• Big Sisters of BC Lower Mainland: Go Girls Program – Healthy Bodies, Healthy Minds
• Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention Centre of BC : YouthinBC.com connecting youth with support, information and resources.
The funds were raised from sales of Pink Shirt Day T-shirts through London Drugs and PinkShirtDay.ca, personal donations and corporate support including a large donation from presenting sponsor Coast Capital Savings.
About Pink Shirt Day: In 2007, two Nova Scotia students decided to take action after witnessing a younger student being bullied for wearing a pink shirt to school. The students bought 50 pink t-shirts and encouraged schoolmates to wear them and send a powerful message of solidarity to the bully. CKNW Orphans’ Fund was inspired by the story and since 2008 have raised more than $1.2 million for anti-bullying programs with the sales of Pink Shirt Day T-Shirts.
About CKNW Orphans’ Fund: Dedicated to enhancing the lives of children with social, physical and mental challenges living in BC communities. We provide funding to both individual children and organizations for a variety of developmental needs, with an emphasis on therapies, educational bursaries and specialized medical equipment.