This summer, the iconic brand Lay’s® is reinventing itself by launching three limited edition chip flavours. Also reinventing a classic, three Canadian musicians will showcase their unique takes on an iconic song, inspired by each of the three limited edition Lay’s flavours.
When it comes to the snack aisle, there’s no bigger icon than Lay’s® potato chips. As the OG brand that loves to change it up, the Lay’s® brand is officially launching Lay’s® Flavour Icons, three limited edition flavours inspired by fellow snack brands Doritos®, Smartfood®, and Miss Vickie’s®. To celebrate, the Lay’s® brand is reinventing the iconic song Take On Me by A-ha and has partnered with three Canadian musicians to record their own take on the track in a genre inspired by each limited edition flavour.
The Lay’s® brand is teaming up with Doritos® Nacho Cheese, Smartfood® White Cheddar and Miss Vickie’s® Spicy Dill Pickle – each iconic snacks in their own right – to create something special for Canadians this summer: Lay’s® Nacho Cheese flavoured potato chips, Lay’s® White Cheddar flavoured potato chips, and Lay’s® Spicy Dill Pickle flavoured potato chips.
“True icons are capable of endless reinvention – and it doesn’t get more iconic than Lay’s,” said Jess Spaulding, Chief Marketing Officer of PepsiCo Foods Canada. “We are excited to kick-off summer by supporting the limited edition Lay’s Flavour Icons by partnering with Canadian artists to reinvent a classic song inspired by some of the most iconic flavours Canadians love.”
Lay’s® Flavour Icons are now available at participating retailers. These limited edition flavours are only available for a short time, so grab all three flavours while supplies last!
Lay’s® asked three Canadian musicians – City Fidelia, Crash Adams and Lindsay Ell – to reinvent the iconic song Take On Me by A-ha, each drawing inspiration from one of the limited edition flavours. Lay’s® Nacho Cheese (Doritos®) inspired a hip hop track, Lay’s® White Cheddar (Smartfood®) inspired a pop track and Lay’s® Spicy Dill Pickle (Miss Vickie’s®) inspired a country track.
The tracks were created by the following musicians:
- City Fidelia (Ottawa, ON)
- A bilingual Canadian rapper, community builder, and entrepreneur, representing Lay’s® x Doritos®. He created a bold hip hop take on the hit song in both English and French.
- Having performed at sold-out shows in North America, Asia, and Europe, he often considers himself an artist from a small city with big dreams. His work in his community has led fans and followers to unofficially dub him the “Mayor of Ottawa.”
- Crash Adams (Toronto, ON)
- A best friend duo that creates pop songs infused with positivity, representing Lay’s® x Smartfood®. They’ve created a fresh and fun pop version of the iconic hit.
- They are known for hitting the streets to create viral videos that deliver a dopamine-hit with their magnetic personalities online. They have over 1.5 billion views and 4.5M followers on TikTok.
- Lindsay Ell (Calgary, AB)
- One of country music’s most celebrated female voices, representing Lay’s® x Miss Vickie’s®. She has delivered her take of the classic song with an added kick that makes it twangy and tangy.
- Lindsay has two number one Canadian singles, Criminal and wAnt me back, and earned a 2023 Canadian Screen Award nomination (Best Host or Presenter, Factual or Reality/Competition) for her role as Host of Canada’s Got Talent.
Canadians can now listen to their takes at Lay’s.ca/FlavourIcons and @LaysCanada on YouTube and TikTok. Visit Lay’s.ca/FlavourIcons to learn more about each flavour and discover your new soundtrack of the summer!
About Lay’s® Canada
Lay’s® potato chips are Canada’s favourite potato chip brand, leading the market share across Canada. Lay’s® is one of PepsiCo Canada’s flagship brands. For more information, please visit www.lays.ca.
About Frito-Lay North America
Frito-Lay North America is the $19 billion convenient foods division of PepsiCo, Inc. (NASDAQ: PEP), which is headquartered in Purchase, NY. Frito-Lay snacks include Lay’s® and Ruffles® potato chips, Doritos® tortilla chips, Cheetos® snacks, Tostitos® tortilla chips and branded dips, SunChips® multigrain snacks and Fritos® corn chips. The company operates 30+ manufacturing facilities across the U.S. and Canada, more than 200 distribution centers and services 315,000 retail customers per week through its direct-store-delivery model. Learn more about Frito-Lay at the corporate website, www.fritolay.ca, on Instagram (@fritolay_canada) and on Facebook (Frito-Lay Canada).
About PepsiCo Foods Canada
PepsiCo Foods Canada is comprised of the Frito Lay Canada and Quaker Canada businesses. The company employs over 6,000 Canadians with seven manufacturing plants and sales and distribution facilities from coast to coast. Frito Lay Canada is the country’s largest snack food manufacturer and the company’s brands include Lay’s®, Doritos®, Tostitos®, Ruffles®, Smartfood® and Cheetos®. The Quaker brand portfolio includes a wide range of wholesome cereals, oatmeal, rice and corn snacks and snack bars, and features other prominent brands such as Life®, Quaker Chewy®, Harvest Crunch® and Crispy Minis®. For more information, please visit www.pepsico.ca.